Wherein we discuss digital pixels and polygons, directed by handheld input devices.

Re: Official Geekbox Mumble Server

Postby dakazu » May 12th, 2015 @ 11:38pm

You don't hear the rules from anyone else because they don't want to be in mumble with DOTA playing in the main channel. I still play DOTA and enjoy doing so with you guys(most of the time) so I enforce when I'm online. Ex asked me to keep enforcing and stop muting you guys so I'll be doing both.

You can choose to be pissy about the matter or get over it like Starwats because this should be a non-issue and somehow it still is with some people.
dakazu

Postby Mr_eX » May 13th, 2015 @ 7:04am

For the record I don't approve of dakazu muting anyone.

As far as playing dota in the main channel, you guys are making something out of nothing. It's almost like you want to do it because you know it bugs dakazu. Everyone on the server will just move to the dota channel with you anyway
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » May 13th, 2015 @ 7:28am

Wouldn't that mean Dakazu is the one making something out of nothing? Whole lot of extra effort for the same net result?
LiQuid

Postby Konanda » May 21st, 2015 @ 3:05pm

dakazu wrote:You speak of this like it already hasn't happened. Geekbox mumble server is only used for 2 things now: podcasting & DOTA. Everyone else got fed up with DOTA talk and straight up quit.

Idk we use it for 4X Game night, also sometimes use it with Voltic when playing FFXIV, and maybe in the future when Heavensward comes out maybe for the Alexander raid. Darfox also uses it for Rust.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 21st, 2015 @ 3:31pm

And Flash and Arrow talk during the episode. But that is over for now.
CrossXhunteR

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 6th, 2015 @ 9:23pm

Just want to thank whoever it was that made the $200 donation back in May.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Aug 27th, 2015 @ 1:16pm

Ex have you looked into Discord? Dota hatsmith bounchfx was preaching about it to DotaGAF. It seems like a VOIP replacement that doesn't require paying out for a server. I'd check it out and see if it's worth moving over to save your server costs.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Aug 27th, 2015 @ 1:20pm

https://discordapp.com/

That's the site btw.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Aug 27th, 2015 @ 1:30pm

That sounds too good to be true. But there's no harm in trying it out.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Aug 27th, 2015 @ 1:31pm

LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Aug 27th, 2015 @ 1:35pm

I've downloaded the desktop client. It doesn't have global push-to-talk on the web client unless it's in a tab that has focus.

Brad was saying all his Dota friends moved to Discord so they didn't have to keep organizing group calls on Skype. It seems legit. It's not monetized yet, but they're going to start selling cosmetic shit, a la Dota, in order to subsidize costs eventually.

I'm not 100% sure it would fit the needs of these guys cause I dunno how the admin controls work for things like doing their podcasting, but you can set rooms up to invite only, so I think you can lock us retards out that way.

Definitely worth checking out. I dunno how much a mumble server costs to run, but it's probably too much.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Aug 27th, 2015 @ 1:45pm

Try this link

https://discord.gg/0TyWb9KWysK6XU3j

That link should invite to the voice channel. I think it separates text and voice channels from each other for some reason.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Aug 27th, 2015 @ 1:51pm

Someone join it. I can't test out if this shit works if nobody comes into the channel. You can just click on it like a regular ass website, you don't even need to download anything.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Aug 27th, 2015 @ 2:29pm

Everyone is still at work, dummy. Have patience
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Aug 27th, 2015 @ 2:32pm

I mean, you're responding in this thread via a web browser or web-enabled telephone. Either of those things should be capable of clicking on the link I posted.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Aug 27th, 2015 @ 2:54pm

Was at work. Not really the time or place to chat on not-mumble.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Aug 27th, 2015 @ 3:45pm

I saw you jumped in and typed stuff but I was afk so I missed it if you tried to talk. Did you try it on the website or client?
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Aug 27th, 2015 @ 5:20pm

Discord seems reeeally rad. The chat features are a lot better than in mumble (image and link previews and shit), it's more like a modern RSS style chat feed than just a wall of text. Also it's persistent between when you log off and come back on.

The only issue I'm having is that the client doesn't seem to suppress your push to talk button and I can't figure out a way to make it do that. There's some jank with using my mouse's side button too. It prevents me from properly clicking around my PC desktop and web browser while voice chatting. I need to see if there are solutions for this kind of stuff.

Other than that it hasn't been tested while we're in a game yet, but this seems like it could be a good Mumble replacement.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Aug 27th, 2015 @ 5:32pm

Yeah, I'll endorse it. It comes with some compromises, but it's compromises I think are worth the $0 eX will have to spend. And a lot of the issues seems like it's simply bugs that will get addressed at some point. I don't know if it'll be ideal for podcasting stuff though, because I don't think it has built in recording a la mumble? But so far the sound quality is bretty gud and is more than good enough for recording if you're using an outside app to record. Haven't tried the mobile apps yet.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 27th, 2015 @ 7:22pm

It does seem pretty cool. Only problem is the recording issues for the podcast and the fact that theres a $231 credit on gameservers.com.

I've actually looked into free alternatives to mumble before. Here are a couple if you want to check out some more

http://www.razerzone.com/comms
https://axon.dolby.com/
http://beta.cursevoice.com/
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 1:32am

New mumble is rad. We should use it. And I know you have a lot of credits, but if you wanted you could apply it to hosting an actual game server or something?

It'll make recording podcasts a little more difficult, but only so much as people have to install and use a separate audio recording program, which I know we've done in the past plenty of times.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 1:48am

Best part about trying this new thing out was listening to how dumb and indignant Cross and Dakazu got about switching over. :lol:
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 3:04am

There is literally no logical reason to switch.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 4:03am

Modern UI
No server fee
Easy access from any web browser or phone
Continued, active development means it will become more feature rich over time
Persistent chat log with link and content previews
Easy to set up, invite-only private servers with no need to download and configure software with confusing server and port addresses

There's literally no reason NOT to switch other than being a cantankerous fuck.

Fucking hell, Mumble doesn't even self-update. What kind of fucking shit software doesn't know how to self update in 2015? I love me a good piece of barebones software, hell I've been using the same mIRC client for like 15 fucking years, but VOIP software has been in dire fucking need of modernization for years and this is finally it. It might not be perfect yet (my mouse button push to talk issues are literally the only problem I have with it right now) but it kicks the everloving shit out of Mumble.
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 4:21am

I don't like the UI. I need something barebones, like Mumble.
I don't care about avatars, and they only serve to take up more screen real estate.
The mumble server fee basically doesn't exist. It is paid off for the next 5 years.
The web browser version leaves a lot to be desired. Why do I have to have it in a focused tab to work? Why does it kill all other audio coming from my computer?
Mumble still gets worked on. Also, active development is not necessarily always good. What if they add bad features or remove good ones?
I don't really like content previews. Sometimes I want to surprise people. It is also easy to abuse, as seen by Dakazu immediately posting trash that everyone has to see.
Copy and paste is quite hard.

It also makes me sound like shit apparently and doesn't seem to have key suppression. It also only allows one key for push to talk, which means I am never going to be able to use it if I want to also use a gamepad.
Can I set up keyboard shortcuts to mute and/or deafen myself? I do not like the level of control that an admin has either.

eX and I were also having an issue where we couldn't hear anybody and we weren't projecting any sound until we refreshed.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 4:45am

Nobody knows where that $200 came from. It shouldn't exist. It's silly that we're all kicking back on someone else's dime and it's not sustainable.

I'm sorry you don't like the UI, but it's modern and fun and hopefully it will lead to less shitposty bullshit like Dakazu's "trash" which is actually quite tame compared to all the awful naked anime lady shit you and kenzo constantly post. If you guys want to share that stuff tho that's totally fine and this allows you the ability to create a separate chat channel just for awful naked anime lady shit to do that in without gunking up the main of the room.

Don't use the web browser. Use the client. You can set up as many push to talk hotkeys as you want, including gamepad hotkeys. Also you can assign hotkeys to mute and deafen as well. The browser client is just meant to be a quick and easy way to get someone connected and voice chatting on a server. The client has all the customization stuff in it.

How is the level of control an admin has in here worse than Mumble? Being able to delete messages is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head. You know how you can delete messages in mumble? Just kick everybody off the server since messages don't have any persistence between logins.

You don't sound "like shit" in it, you're just inexplicably less clear than you are in mumble, but you're still fine.

You used this thing for a few hours and went into crankypants Cross mode fucking instantly. How about actually giving it a try before you pass judgment?
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 4:47am

I actually just created a room for you guys called ANALS that you can post all your awful naked anime lady shit in. Please enjoy!

edit: I can edit permissions within each individual chat and voice channel, so next time you guys are on I'll give you and kenzo both full admin control in the ANALS channel in case you guys wanna burn the evidence of you guys being a couple of debaucherous motherfuckers.!
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 5:56am

I did give it a try. When I set my push to talk to my mouse 4 (back button), it didn't suppress my key press so it instantly backed out of the service as soon as I tried to talk.
I will base every experience for this service off the web browser client alone. I am not going to download anything.

Something that both eX and Dakazu mentioned is that they can't record podcasts and stuff with Discord.

One thing I do like about it is that it has a Dark Theme option. Everything needs a dark theme.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 6:13am

You won't download the client but the client has the features you want. This makes sense to you how exactly?

Dakazu and ex can use a different program to record sound. Programs that record sound on a computer have existed for quite some time I would imagine.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 6:15am

LiQuid wrote:Best part about trying this new thing out was listening to how dumb and indignant Cross and Dakazu got about switching over. :lol:
LiQuid

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics