Wherein we discuss digital pixels and polygons, directed by handheld input devices.

Re: Official Geekbox Mumble Server

Postby LiQuid » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 6:22am

I joined the /r/dota2 public server with the click of a button and now I have access to a whole pool of 7k MMR Dota players I'll likely never interact with! How crazy is that??? I can be on INFINITE servers! I just need to know infinite people now!
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 6:23am

I'm not going to download the client because I don't download random programs to my computer. I have a browser, mumble, Steam, and a comic reader installed. That's it.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 6:26am

I just scrolled up thru the "general" chat channel in the Dota 2 server and the chat log does indeed go all the way back to the creation of the server, which in this case is July 26th, so that answers my question about the permanence of the chat logs in this thing! I hope adding a ctrl-f or similar search function to the chat window is in the works.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 6:27am

CrossXhunteR wrote:I'm not going to download the client because I don't download random programs to my computer. I have a browser, mumble, Steam, and a comic reader installed. That's it.

This is irrational and idiotic tho. Steam is a random program. Mumble is a random program. So is your comic reader. At what point does a program go from being a random program to one that belongs in your hallowed pantheon?
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 6:29am

TFW: you realize that the client is literally identical to the web client, only it has an extra tab in its settings menu to customize hotkeys. :lol:
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 6:32am

I already have a chat client. Why do I need another one?
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 6:34am

Because it's one that the rest of us want to use and you want to talk to us? If we decided to use Teamspeak instead of Mumble would you not make that jump?

You don't have a music player on your desktop? I mean I guess they make extensions for them on browsers and there are a lot of viable streaming options, but that still seems unlikely to me that you don't own any mp3s.

What about a torrent client? What do you use to swipe all those CBRs you read in your comic reader?
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 6:35am

But why switch?
I actually don't have mp3s.
I also don't torrent. Direct downloads.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 6:41am

How is "why" even relevant? This new one has features that people like and it's a completely free alternative so we don't have to rely on handouts from a good Samaritan or eX to keep it running. Ex brainstormed possibilities for another game server he could roll the money paying mumble fees right now into (my vote goes for Chivalry!). Having a simple, html-based way for people to join the game night without having to navigate a mumble client and server information means we might start getting random passersby on the server for those once a week occasions.

There's actually no real downside to this other than it being something different and you being stubborn.
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 6:47am

But the fact is that it is different. That is the downside that matters. Will we always have someone posted in the mumble server to give out the Discord address? There are people that occasionally swing by the mumble server that would probably be super confused.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 6:49am

CrossXhunteR wrote:I'm not going to download the client because I don't download random programs to my computer. I have a browser, mumble, Steam, and a comic reader installed. That's it.
Unless you block java scripts and cookies, your belligerence and insistence on computer-purity here is totally pointless.

Most of your points boil down to "I don't like change" and that's not a very rational point worth even an ounce of consideration.
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 6:50am

It is exactly my point. Why change what already works in a perfectly serviceable manner?
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 6:53am

CrossXhunteR wrote:But the fact is that it is different. That is the downside that matters. Will we always have someone posted in the mumble server to give out the Discord address? There are people that occasionally swing by the mumble server that would probably be super confused.

Ideally the mumble server will cease to exist and then these imaginary people you think stop by the server once a year will have to ask one of us on Steam what happened to it. I don't think it'll be that big of an issue, but I appreciate you looking out for them simple folk.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 6:55am

I love how you're taking a Tank Man stance on something as dumb as which VOIP client we use. This is like distilled Cross in this thread. :lol:
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 7:21am

I hope we change every 2 days to a brand new VOIP client.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 7:37am

If we did you'd be the only one who gave a shit. Do you still have a Myspace account?
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 7:41am

No, but it's not like a have a Facebook either. That isn't a type of social media I interact with.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 7:49am

What web browser do you use? If that shit ain't fucking Mosaic you can go ahead and fuck right the fuck off son.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 7:50am

Better not even be called fucking Netscape Navigator either. M O S A I C.
LiQuid

Postby Jenn04 » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 8:39am

Idk why there's a stink about the new chat client of all things. Even when using just Mumble our community changed because of the flavor of the day /month / year. DOTA2 made a huge chunk of our old community leave, incl. myself for a long time... but it's the chat client that breaks the camel's back?
Jenn04

Postby LiQuid » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 8:54am

It's literally only Cross. Everybody else seems to like it. Dakazu's initial freakout was just about the podcasting thing.

I got a reply back from the devs about my tweet and I was right they don't currently support PTT key suppression, but they said they "plan to"

I downloaded the Razer software that came with my mouse and/or keyboard but I never installed to try and mess with the mouse button settings to see if I could find a way to remove the default functionality of the side mouse buttons cause I never use them for anything other than PTT (one for VOIP program du jour and one for in-game PTT), so I think I'm gonna be able to do a workaround that way.
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 8:56am

I'm just asking why change away from Mumble, and so far I have not been given a compelling enough reason.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 8:59am

I'm asking why you're resistant to change away from Mumble and you haven't provided a compelling enough reason either, so I guess we're at an impasse.

It's up to eX what he decides to do with the rest of the server money. If he and Dakazu deem it more convenient to keep the mumble running for podcasting then so be it. I would love to see a Chivalry server active because I need a reason to play Chivalry.

In my opinion, the chat functionality, not the VOICE chat, but the actual chat channel functionality makes it a compelling enough reason to switch. I love the persistent chat and content previews.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 9:21am

I actually just set up another server in this for some other friends I don't talk to often enough without the intention of even using the VOIP. We basically just meet at another nearly abandoned forum with random nonsense every couple of weeks. This seems like it would be awesome for that and I hope I can get them on board with it.
LiQuid

Postby meDotJS » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 9:07pm

I don't really see any actual advantage to Discord, just a bunch of fluff no one will ever use anyways and a bloated UI. I wouldn't be completely against the change and if you guys really switched over I would too, but there doesn't seem to be any point to switch if the Mumble server is funded for the foreseeable future and Discord doesn't have a recording function for the podcast.

And the reason why you can't just replace that with Audacity recording sound is because Mumble records tracks separately. That's actually a big deal for recording the podcast. It lets you edit each person's audio individually (boost or lowering volume of each person being the big one). Too replicate this with Discord each person on the podcast (including any guests) would need to record their own audio, which creates multiple points of failure (if one of those recordings fails the whole podcast is trash).
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS

Postby LiQuid » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 9:14pm

The new chat is too fun. We've already switched. Dunno how you can consider that fluff that no one will use when we're already using it constantly. The UI isn't bloated, it's modern and app-y, but not bloated. It's way nicer looking than mumble.
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 9:28pm

It is super bloated compared to Mumble.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 9:50pm

It's "bloated" compared to plain white rectangle with lines of black text in it, sure, but who fucking cares? You guys really hanging onto the last few MB of ram in your PC you can't spare to use a modern fucking program? You know what else is "bloated?" literally every modern web browser.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Aug 28th, 2015 @ 10:10pm

meDotJS wrote:...Mumble... lets you edit each person's audio individually (boost or lowering volume of each person being the big one)
Discord lets you adjust each person's audio individually... in client, actively, while you're listening. So you don't have to do a bunch of strenuous and tedious editing after the fact with fancy software, you just level people then and there and it's magically perfect from the get go, removing a big headache of editing and still getting the same results.

Medot, you're arguing against Discord by inventing reasons why it's bad that are not just untrue, but actually the exact opposite!

You really ought to try something first before pupu-ing it.
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 29th, 2015 @ 4:13am

Kenzie, that wouldn't work for recording . You seem to think everyone has consistent levels that you can just set at the beginning and be good to go. If someone spikes or goes softer than normal during a recording, he would on the fly have to adjust levels for that person, without the ability to go back after words and change them.
CrossXhunteR

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics