Wherein we discuss digital pixels and polygons, directed by handheld input devices.

Re: Official Geekbox Mumble Server

Postby meDotJS » Aug 29th, 2015 @ 10:09am

Is there any way to make permanent links? The ones Liquid posted have expired. I was about to try this out but I can't seem to join you guys.

Also if there's no way to post permanent links this sorta means that we'll have to continually post links for new people.

Edit: Nevermind, created my own server and it seems you can make permanent invites.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS

Postby meDotJS » Aug 29th, 2015 @ 10:18am

Well, trying the app and it's got some clear advantages over Mumble like what I'm hoping are persistent messages (I say I hope they are because so far it's just me in a server by myself). That's honestly about it though. I don't really care for this new UI, the lack of quality/bitrate settings for my Microphone is troubling, and it doesn't seem to have a setting to enable/disable the suppression of game audio when someone is talking (does it even have this feature?).

This might be cool in the future but I'd say give it time to mature and become as feature rich as Mumble before switching over for what is effectively a new UI.
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
meDotJS

Postby LiQuid » Aug 29th, 2015 @ 11:02am

https://discord.gg/0TyWb9KWysKvr6aP

Invite shouldn't expire.
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Aug 29th, 2015 @ 1:32pm

There's a lot of arguing going on about recording podcast stuff. I'll just squash most of those arguments now as someone who ACTUALLY records and edits.

1-Audio quality takes precedence over everything. I know we're super minor and have like 5 listeners but I'm really proud that our podcast doesn't sound like shit. Our levels are even and there's not a lot of popping or long silences. Yes we've had some technical issues but the majority of our episodes are good. Nothing is more off-putting than bad audio. I think Discord's audio quality is very good. Probably as good as teamspeak and way better than skype(skype is trash IMO) but not quite as good as mumble. Could we use Discord audio? Probably, but that leads to 2.

2-Discord doesn't record audio. This is a major factor in why we can't get rid of mumble for now. As far as I can tell there isn't an easy solution for recording BOTH your mic audio AND Discord voice chat. meDot told me about a real roundabout solution that involves multiple software that sounds like a real pain compared to just hitting a record button in mumble. I've emailed the Discord team to ask about it so maybe it'll be something they're looking into.

3-There's also the issue of privacy. Unless there's a way to ban people after they've been invited, there's no way to stop people from joining in the middle of a recording session. I haven't looked into this issue yet so this may be moot.

Having a free option is nice and I can see that Discord is a much better option than Skype. If recording stuff wasn't a hassle I'd try a trial run but as it stands I think mumble will need to stay for podcasting.
dakazu

Postby meDotJS » Aug 29th, 2015 @ 2:12pm

I take back most of what I said. I like the persistent chat. A lot. But I still think the UI needs work and there's the issues Dakazu has talked about already with the podcast. I think it might be nice to switch to Discord though for casual conversation while still keeping Mumble around for podcasts (at least until Discord adds features like recording and better channel permissions).
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
meDotJS

Postby LiQuid » Aug 29th, 2015 @ 3:55pm

Once you create a server you can kick and ban whoever you want from it, and you can make your invites to it persist for a time limit (as Medot pointed out) so after a set amount of hours someone you invited and then kicked has no way to return to the server. Hell you can even set up and then completely delete a temporary server for every episode you do. So yes, your 3rd point is completely moot.

As for in-app recording. I still find it H A R D to believe that there is not an audio program out there that does not record both your mic input and others' voice output. This seems like audio software 101 and it has to exist. Mumble's recording function is an easy mode that you guys have been using, and it works for you, and that's fine, but there has to be another way. Do you guys use Audacity? I heard Dakazu bring this up before but have you used it? That has to have the ability to record a podcast...
LiQuid

Postby meDotJS » Aug 29th, 2015 @ 4:16pm

Audacity only records one input at a time (so system sound or your microphone).
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
meDotJS

Postby dakazu » Aug 29th, 2015 @ 5:06pm

Apparently there's a work around but they all sound annoying as shit. If Discord's audio quality was significantly better then I might bother looking into it but it seems the hassle isn't worth it.
dakazu

Postby meDotJS » Aug 29th, 2015 @ 7:40pm

Well a possible workaround would require a second computer and enough bandwidth for two instances of Discord, but you could just have a computer dedicated to recording the podcast. Still results in a single-track recording though.
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
meDotJS

Postby LiQuid » Aug 29th, 2015 @ 8:02pm

I don't believe you that there isn't a software solution that doesn't record both a mic input and system sound. I don't believe that's possible.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Aug 29th, 2015 @ 8:12pm

LiQuid wrote:I don't believe you that there isn't a software solution that doesn't record both a mic input and system sound. I don't believe that's possible.
That's what I'm saying. It's 2015. There should be an easy solution for this somewhere on the Internet.
kenzo

Postby meDotJS » Aug 29th, 2015 @ 8:14pm

There isn't. You might be right that there should be, but there isn't.
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
meDotJS

Postby LiQuid » Aug 29th, 2015 @ 8:21pm

At the VERY least, couldn't you just run 2 instances of the software one recording each device??
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Aug 29th, 2015 @ 8:22pm

http://www.capturemusic.org/how-to-reco ... puter.html

Streaming Audio Recorder
With this program, you don’t have to choose microphone as audio source, it can record either system sound or microphone or both of them.

I got this far with a quick Bing search, and I have no investment in this. I'm sure I could figure out a solution if it was something I actually cared about.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Aug 29th, 2015 @ 8:28pm

LiQuid wrote:http://www.capturemusic.org/how-to-record-microphone-and-system-audio-on-computer.html

Streaming Audio Recorder
With this program, you don’t have to choose microphone as audio source, it can record either system sound or microphone or both of them.

I got this far with a quick Bing search, and I have no investment in this. I'm sure I could figure out a solution if it was something I actually cared about.

That's the funny thing is that the people I talked to about this who insist there is no solution are medot and dakazu, both of which are not the most resourceful people when it comes to PC software, and both haven't even looked up how to solve this kind of issue in years and insist that years later there is still no solution.
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 29th, 2015 @ 8:30pm

There is no solution that requires no more work than the current set up.
CrossXhunteR

Postby dakazu » Aug 30th, 2015 @ 12:02pm

kenzo wrote:
LiQuid wrote:http://www.capturemusic.org/how-to-record-microphone-and-system-audio-on-computer.html

Streaming Audio Recorder

That's the funny thing is that the people I talked to about this who insist there is no solution are medot and dakazu, both of which are not the most resourceful people when it comes to PC software, and both haven't even looked up how to solve this kind of issue in years and insist that years later there is still no solution.

dakazu wrote:Apparently there's a work around but they all sound annoying as shit. If Discord's audio quality was significantly better then I might bother looking into it but it seems the hassle isn't worth it.
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Aug 30th, 2015 @ 2:00pm

Just last night me and Jenn were both surprised to learn it was MeDot that joined the server cause he sounded COMPLETELY different than in Mumble. It sounds so clear like we're in the room with him and he sounds like a totally different person.
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 30th, 2015 @ 2:42pm

I thought meDot sounded the same.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Aug 30th, 2015 @ 8:33pm

Pretty sure I've never seen as consistent a high number of consecutive users online with mumble as I have as the last couple days in Discord.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 30th, 2015 @ 9:14pm

You may not have because you joined the mumble server so late in its life. You joined after we started playing DOTA and DOTA killed the mumble server.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Aug 30th, 2015 @ 9:53pm

Sounds like Mumble could use the MOBA ZONE.

Actually, we've been just as annoying with all the HotS play for the most part and Discord is still thriving. Everybody being able to chat with each other while in different voice channels is GREAT.
LiQuid

Postby kevinep3 » Aug 31st, 2015 @ 5:41am

I do like discord UI especially find it waaaaaaay better on the smartphones. And yeah like Ex said Dota drove a few ppl out as well as some dumb feuds.
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby LiQuid » Aug 31st, 2015 @ 11:17pm

I got a pleasant reply to my email I sent to Discord and they directed me to this settings tab I somehow never clicked on:

You can't do like Cross and not choose to show the preview when you're posting it seems like, but in case any of you crazies don't like having all kenzo's weeb ass weeb shit plastered all over your screen, you can turn that shit off and click on everything manually. Oh, also note the option to disable text to speech! Based Discord!
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Sep 1st, 2015 @ 2:25am

What was your email? How to disable content previews?

I've thought about sending an email for some of the features that I would like, but I'm pretty sure they are already on the radar.
CrossXhunteR

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 1st, 2015 @ 6:27am

Way too much anime in the chat and the mobile app doesn't give me the admin power the desktop app does. So I can't delete all that garbage while at work.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Sep 1st, 2015 @ 6:42am

I have a separate weeb channel for all the anime bullshit but nobody uses it.

Is it even really a problem? If so, can't you just do the option I posted above and hide all the image and content previews?
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Sep 1st, 2015 @ 6:44am

Does anime offend you at a base level?
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Sep 1st, 2015 @ 7:01am

Why wouldn't it?
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Sep 1st, 2015 @ 7:03am

LiQuid wrote:I have a separate weeb channel for all the anime bullshit but nobody uses it.

Is it even really a problem? If so, can't you just do the option I posted above and hide all the image and content previews?

Mobile app doesn't have those settings
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics